Return To Top
Back To The Bible Hour Radio Documents
in PDF format.
(Large files necessary to preserve the original clarity of
the documents. Be patient for the download to take place.)
Heard Most On Radio Show: (ca. 1931)
Lower Row ( l to r) Dr.
Imrie ( Pastor ) Dean Aberhart (Lecturer)
Ernest Manning (Insitute Teacher)
Standing Miss Muriel Preston, L.A.B. (our efficient pianist)
Mrs. M. McElroy, (well known Cornetist)
Note that Muriel Preston would become Ernest's Wife some
seven years later. (Closeup Below).
Muriel Preston as Pianist - ca. 1931
Muriel Preston at the Piano
Lecturer and Staff Member
Calgary Prophetic Bible Inst and Radio Program
Front Row (Sitting):
Catherine Gorrie, Mrs. Dodds, Mrs. Clarke,
Mrs. Greaves, Elsie Read, Mrs. Wormald, Mrs. Cooper and
Second Row (Standing) : Miss Williams, Kathleen Bulmer,
Margaret Dyson, Alice Eby, Marion Bulmer, Mrs. Randall,
Top Row (Standing) : F. Funston, Charles Aked, Penard Hauge,
Mr. Cooper, Mr.George Walker, Mr. Randall, Mr.Charles Underwood,
Dr. Clarke, and Charles Pearce.
Aberhart's Massive Prophesy Wall Chart which accompanied his
lectures to both live and radio audiences in both the Palace
Theatre and the Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute. It measures
16.7 feet long by 4.5 feet tall. (Click Image to See Large
Prophesy Chart in
11 x 17 inch format for Printing - pdf
( Includes Legend Notes from William Aberhart )
Pioneer Use Of Radio
Effective in Power and Hours - pdf.
In 1937 - Aberhart Programs on CFCN totaled
four hours each Sunday!
Of Aberhart's Handwritten Radio
Programs from 1933. -pdf
(Given to Ian F. Smith
in 1982 by Mrs. Muriel Manning.)
Glory Train Song
was Often the Closing Theme of the Broadcast
Back to the Bible Club Souvenir Treasure
Ernest Manning led
Years of the Broadcast
June 1943 - 1990 ?
The Program Was eventually
renamed to Canada's National Bible Hour
and remains as such on the half-hour
(In Calgary Area on AM1140 Radio High River
Alberta at 8:30 am each Sunday )
The first Sunday of Each Month stills has
a recorded Ernest Manning giving the message.
ernest Manning radio
Did He Come?
in on the story of
Joseph Administering the
famine of 7 years and compares it
to what happens to people when
all their security is dependent on the State. ( written during
of Anwar Sadat in Eygpt when he made peace with Israel . 1979-81
December 1973 - pdf
View of Second
coming - pdf
Ernest and Muriel
at the Aug.
4th, 1951 Dinner
of the Christian Business Men's
Committee at the Vancouver Hotel.
Back To The
(PDF 31 pages)
& News Clip
Jan. 3 - 1976
Return To Top
Manning As Musical director
of Back to the Bible Hour
Music Teacher was the renowned
Annie Glen Broder who also taught Bible Hour violinist
Mary Shortt. ( see below ) The quality of music
on the broadcasts was always of a high standard.
Annie Glen Broder was instrumental in bringing the
prestigious Associated Board of Royal Schools to establish
a musical examination branch in Calgary as a branch to Calgary.
Annie Glen Broder
See Jennifer Hamblin's Article on the
in the Summer 2009 edition of Alberta History.
( Vol. 57, No. 3 )
In the 1934 Annual Meeting Booklet of
Canadian Medical Associaton, which met in Calgary that year,
Annie Glen Broder wrote the article
as a Centre of Musical Culture. - pdf.
Training from such British trained professionals was responsible
for the high quality of musical talent that the Bible Hour
had to draw upon in Calgary after the start in 1925.
Return To Top
Sunday School Mission
These Original Aberhart
Lessons are still ministrying in updated form
by UB David
& I'll B Johnathan
mailing from Calgary
"God testifying of his gifts:
and by it he being dead yet speaketh." Hebrews 11:4 KJV
Radio Sunday School Workers ca. 1930
Top Row (Standing) George Walker, Mrs. Walker,
Mrs. Randall, Charles Pearce (Superindendent)
Bottom Row (Sitting) Mrs. Capocci, Mrs. Hodgkinson, Miss Way,
Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. Pearce
Back To the bible hour
In Winnipeg, Regina,
from June to August 1951
Ernest Manning Speaks at Winnipeg Rally while Mary Shortt
Plays Violin in Background - June 10th, 1951
Winnepeg Municipal Auditorium
Here to See Larger Picture Size)
Souvenir Program & Winnipeg Poster - pdf
Mary Lesingham Shortt
Violinist On Canada's
National Bible Hour
Jan. 22, 1918
- Oct. 23rd, 2009
Selected rADIO vIOLIN sOLOS
Always Say, I Forgive
In The Valley
Promo for 1951 Back to the
Bible Hour Mass Radio Rallies - pdf
Mary Shortt performs
during one of her many
summers with the Jean Cotton string trio at the
Banff Springs Hotel
name is in the Westbourne baptist
youth group list in the Cheer Up in 1925, where
Muriel Preston and Ernest Manning attended.)
Shortt Funeral - Order of Service - pdf
Shortt - News Clippings of
Early Life, Training In England
Teaching, Students, & Performance
in Calgary - pdf
Mary Shortt began her musical education in piano at home
under her mother, Mrs. Lesingham Shortt, then under
Annie Glen Broder ( see above ) and also with
the guidance of Grigori Garbovitsky, Founder and first
Conductor of the Calgary Symphony Orchestra.
Her earliest appearance on the Back to the Bible Hour
is still being researched.
Sang with His Wife Marion on
Both Aberhart and Manning Era's
& Ian Smith
Ian as well as being a well known Baritone
on the Back to the Bible Hour under both
Aberhart and Manning and in Calgary's music
scene also served as VicePresident of the
Alberta Social Credit League and President
of the Calgary Area Council of SC.
Eva Reid and Jack Peach Articles on Ian Here.
1950's Bible Hour Tour Picture
Madge Thomas ( Clarke )
Madge Also Played the Aberhart Memorial
Organ at the Prophetic Bible Institute.
She married a quartet member named Earle
Her Family Bio
Return To Top
OF ABERHART'S INFLUENCE
Sproule mp3- as recounted
by her son Winston Sproule Of
Miller of Wetaskwin -mp3
as recounted by Winston Sproule
Siemens (Crayford) of Cowley -mp3
Esther remembers the family trip
to the neighbours who had a radio
Ernest Charles Manning mp3
1965 - 30th Anniversary of Social Credit Government - Ernest
about his conversion as a Saskatchewan
farm boy under Aberhart's preaching
and the lifelong friedship they shared
Manning on his estimation
of Aberhart's Bible Teaching mp3
& Margaret Underwood
of Red Deer Remember
the Closing Song of the Broadcast in Aberhart's
Time and Eva Underwood who was a
bridesmaid to Muriel Manning. - mp3
Aberhart Clear Public Testimony
Even During the Controversy of
Introducing Social Credit
during his broadcasts
one lady of her need to become a Christian. (pdf 1 p )
Why Politics On A Bible Radio Show? -mp3
William Aberhart explains why on a
Sept. 12th,1937 Broadcast
of Aberhart Mixing Politics with Religion
recounted by Ron Underwood - mp3
For Aberhart Legacy Series (18 hours)hosted
by Larry Heather on Gospel Road on AM1140
On CFCN "The
Voice Of The Prairies"
The Jack Benny Radio Show
Back To The Bible Hour ( 2 hour show )
But Aberhart drew more listeners that the popular comedian
on CFCN Radio 'The Voice Of The Prairies'
The Bible Hour at it's peak drew a listening Audience
of up to 350,000 from four provinces and at least 3 nothern
States. Such a powerful undirected transmission
pattern as CFCN had, is restricted now by regulation.
Jack Benny on Radio
CFCN RADIO CALgary
' the voice of the Prairies'
W.W. Grant, a decorated
veteran from the 1st World War for his accomplishments in
wartime radio, sets up what was likely Canada's first regular
broadcast from a station he constructed in Halifax. 1921
a 50 watt station at High River, Alberta, over which Western
Canadians heard their first broadcast concerts. As few people
actually owned radio receivers, Grant built his own labeled
receivers sets and distributed them to listeners in the broadcasting
area. ( See Picture Below )
In the spring, Grant moved the station from High River to
Calgary and the call sign was changed to CFCN. The government
issued a commercial licence to Grant, after The Herald's CFAC
received its licence. CFCN had the distinction of being the
first station in Canada to receive compensation for commercial
broadcasting. CFCN broadcast over a frequency of 1010 kHz
with a power of 750 watts and shared time with station CKCX.
The station increased power to 1,000 watts, and shared 410
metres, splitting airtime with CKCX and CHBC.
Studios were at 708 Crescent Road N.W., and CFCN was now sharing
time with CFHC, CHCM, CKCX, CNRC.
CFCN moved to 690 kHz which it shared with CFAC, and power
was reduced to 750 watts.
Aberhart began broadcasting on CFCN
in the fall from the Palace Theatre in Calgary.
CFCN increased power to 1,800 watts.
(Bill) Grant History Escerpt by Jack Peach
CFCN Radio History Document ( pdf )
in Discovering Antiques, May/June 2009
by Fred Hauck & W.W. Grant's Radio Giveaways.
(Allen's) Palace Theatre 219-8th Avenue S.W. Calgary
Currently, a historically designated building, but
used as the Calgary Flames Central
The plaque supplied by the Province
has not been installed on the front of the
building however, for reasons unknown.
However, The Heritage Canada Plaque is Installed
Below the West Ticket Window and give a brief
Reference to Willilam Aberhart's Broadcasts.
It is a suggestion that the two old Ticket
windows be used as historical signs as well, one outlining
the entertainment history of the building and one detailing
the Aberhart broadcasts
which began in the building, be placed there as well. Unauthorized
alterations done to the original signboard by the installation
of the Flames central sign is a sore point
with the Calgary Heritage Authority.
Public Library Cornerstones
Project History on Allen ( Palace ) Theatre
Aberhart Addresses His Vast Radio Audience
Radio History Made From this stage of the Palace Theatre in
the fall of 1925.
The Calgary Prophetic Bible Conference
established by Aberhart to share Prophecy Lectures in 1918
led to increasingly larger crowds when it was moved to Sunday
Afternoons and came finally to rest at the spacious 2,200
seat theatre of the Palace in 1923. In addition to a seating
capacity of 2,200, this theatre had better facilities for
musical programs and was closer to street-car transportation.
Palace Theatre Stage
Aberhart's overflowing audiences
heard Prophecy Letures with music
from 3 to 5 pm every Sunday Afternoon.
"When William Aberhart took the rostrum,
the personality and voice combined with all their compelling
.There would be music, and he in contemplative
mood, seeming remote from its surroundings. Next a hymn and
he would join, heart and soul with the singing. Then the pause
of expectancy, the quiet that waited for his voice. A clear
pleasant voice which, having naturally a great range of volume,
was trained in the manipulation of its deeper undertones for
dramatic effects. There he would preach
Bible in hand,
audience in rapt attention.
"The early days of radio were momentous
days in Canada. A new medium of communication. An unheard-of
outreach of sound, carrying the human voice into the silence
of remote outposts. Almost overnight, it became possible for
a single man to speak to, and influence his fellowman in their
thousands on the prairies.
It was inevitable that William Aberhart, master orator that
he was, would also master this new medium of mass communication.
W. W. Grant, owner of the pioneer Calgary radio station C.F.C.N.,
"The Voice of the Prairies" proposed to put Aberhart
on the air to broadcast the existing meeting of the Prophetic
Conference that had been packing in capacity crowds there
On Sunday October 11th , 1925, Aberhart
watched the radio crew stringing wires about the stage of
this Palace Theatre. There was a telephone connection to the
studio, and at this end a gadget called a microphone. At 2:30
, a quartet sang a hymn in a close cluster around this bug-eyed
contraption., and as they departed, Aberhart trembled with
temporary "mike fright." He soon warmed to the on
air presence reassured by the accents of his voice, and he
never looked back. It was a fateful moment for the history
The first broadcast was successful beyond all expectations.
There was a flood of letters, many with contributions of money.
A few Sundays later, the paying members of the new radio club
passed the 500 mark. The amazing radio appeal of William Aberhart
had become a demonstrated fact. The momentum established by
the radio broadcast from the stage of this theatre brought
in it's wake , a massive listening audience (over 300 hundred
thousand out-drawing the Jack Benny show which followed after),
the building of the Prophetic Bible Institute a few block
east on this same 8th Avenue. And from that center the launch
of the Social Credit movement which was to sweep to power
in the mid depression election of 1935.
Material adapted from with some date
Aberhart of Alberta
L.P.V. Johnson and Ola McNutt
Institute for Applied Art, Edmonton 1970. pp 53-54 &
Palace Theatre History Excerpt by Jack Peach
Radio Stations would often
take a live broadcast of a Radio Show like Aberharts and
record it onto a LargeTranscription Record Platter (vinyl
and about 12" in diameter). These could then be archived
or copies sent for rebroadcast on other stations. Many hundreds
were made of Aberhart's broadcasts but only a few are currently
in museum archives. If you know of any 'out in the wild'
the Aberhart Foundation is interested in obtaining them
for future preservation. See contact page for details.
CFAC Transcription Radio Disc Above
One of Two Discs for the Oct. 8th, 1959
Back to the Bible Broadcast
Each radio disc has about
13 minutes of recording time.
The first disc of a recording would start at the outer edge,
the next disc
would be played from the inside out and so forth. This way
the speed change from disc to disc could be kept less noticable.
Label for Electrical Transcription Disc with Instructions
Return To Top
10209 Jasper Avenue
The Layman's Forum
was likely the
First Name of the Edmonton Meetings of Aberhart
when he and Ernest Manning relocated to the Capital
of Edmonton to assume their duties in the new Social Credit
Government in 1935. The Strand Theatre was used and then
later when Manning took over the Capitol and then the Paramount
became the new
theatres for these meetings renamed the Edmonton Bible Conference.
Eventually, the Back to the Bible
Hour Broadcasts transferred from Calgary up to this Theatre.
At first, Manning and Aberhart would alternate Sundays between
Calgary Prophetic Bible Inst. and the Strand Theatre for
Paramount Theatre on Jasper Ave.
Still Used As A Downtown
A well Maintained Theatre Space
Bible Conference Songsheet - pdf
circa later 1940's
See Extract from this Edition
on the bottom of this webpage
where William Aberhart (editor)
in a section called Clippings
reports on an item from another
prophecy magazine and gives his
view on how he believes the public
should examine the teachings of both others and himself.
Bible Conference Edition
to the later
Calgary Prophetic Bible Insttute
in July 1943 and continued until early 1960's
Copy Of Radio News
listeners of the
Back To The Bible Hour
from the Prophetic Bible Institute
great prophecies series
Listing of Pre Wesbourne & Westbourne
Prophetic Bible Conference Board Members
with Listings of God's Great Prophecies ( Mid - 20's version
and Post Aberhart Passing Printing.)
Their appears to
be at least 3 different publications
of God's Great Prophecies which have some differences
in Lecture Numbers and Titles:
1. Early Prophetic Conference Edition(s)
2. Westbourne Era Edition(s)
3. Post Passing of Aberhart Edition
published by the Prophetic Bible Inst. - 1943 or after.
Aberhart's Prophetic Series
(Earliest Edition )
(An early version, pre 1925? of
Bible Conference Series
This Material is arranged and has different subjects that
the later series which follows.
For God's Great Prophecies
(sold for 60cents each)
It was this series of lectures and more that began a mass
public movement in halls and Theatres (Grand & Palace
at which the later Theare the vast CFCN Broadcasts began.
1 & 2
38 pp pdf
The Ear-Marks of the True Religion
Divisions of the World History
Lecture No. 4
The Second Coming Of Christ and Its Signs and Shadows
Lecture No. 5
Movement, or the
Restoration of the
Hebrews to Palestine.
Lecture No. 6.
The Sign Posts on the Way to the Millennium, or the
Period Divisions of Daniel's 70th Week
18 pp, pdf
(Note: Numbering Scheme changes here - Lectures
5, 6 have maybe not have been printed or reassigned.)
Individual or System?
Man or Demon?
The Battle of Armageddon, or Climax of Battles.
Return To Top
or which derive from his legacy
Save The Old Westbourne
Baptist for an Aberhart
Op-Ed Article published
in Jan.22nd, 2009 of the Calgary Herald
and February 2009Ed of the
City Light News - pdf
Lay Preacher from
Dec. 5th, 1915 - 1929
After preaching for Bible classes around Churches in Calgary,
William Aberhart preaced his first sermon to a struggling
Baptist mission church in Victora Park. It had
been planted by Dr. Willard Litch of First Baptist Church
back in 1905, after starting as a Sunday School outpost 2
blocks to the east on 13th Ave.
( SeeBuilding Permit pdf below. )
While Aberhart maintained his principalship at Crescent Heights
High School, he became a unpaid lay preacher
at the Westbourne Baptist Church. Not being ordained, Aberhart
called in others to do official duties. In 1922 a
fulltime pastor, Rev. Ernest Hansell was called
to assist Aberhart in the work and perform the official pastoral
This Church is still a historically preserved
building with later additions build after the
time of this photo
It is rumored to be moved to the Youth Campus by the Elbow
River by the Stampede Board.. a move we hope will not happen
as much of the Historical value derives from
the history that took place in this location.
And the loss of the basement and annex will
greatly reduce the floor space.
Recent Window Inserts on the Old Westbourne
indicate it's future use as a performing
arts rehearsal space. Does this really
preserve the history of what happened within
that changed Alberta history?
We are hoping that a Foundation museum
dedicated to Aberhart- Social Credit - and Church History
may be established here.
(Patrons to support this are welcome.)
The Old Westbourne Below as it looked in 1944
Shots of Buiding During
Stampede Construction All Around the Block
Slide Show of Additional Interior Pictures
of the Old Westbourne Baptist Church - Feb.2007
History of Westbourne and Mother
Church 1st Baptist (PDF)
Building Permit Tag Discover after 100 year concealment !
In 2011, Heritage Architect Lorne
removed bricks from the SE corner of the
building to discover the interior build.
Lo and Behold, Calgary City Builting Permit
was discovered nailed where it wasplace one years
ago in 1911!
See The Story of the Permit pdf. )
Original Certificate of Alberta Incorporation
June 21st, 1923
After Aberhart's move to withdraw from
the Baptist Union to become Independent Baptist
This Painting of Mount Rundle in
the Canadaina Rockies, which hung in the home of Deacon John
& Annie Dick
( she was a Prophetic Bible Life of Christ Teacher who had
a young Ernest Manning in her class) became the model from
which a visiting Scandinavian Evangelist
painted the backdrop on the wall behind the Baptistry.
Set of Westbourne's
1915 - 1920's??
No Tipping Head Back Communion Cup Ad
Methodist Year Book 1918 USA
Launched From Westbourne
was from this location at 13th Ave. and 4th St. East that
the popular evening lectures series by Aberhart on Prophecy,
led to the formation of the Weekly Prophetic
Bible Conference. It soon outgrew a number of venues
ending up in the 2,000 seat Palace Theatre, where
Aberhart started the Back to the Bible radio ministry and
Radio Sunday School Club in the fall of 1925. He also
gained among his listeners a huge response to
start a Bible Training School to train students
in an atmosphere free from the prevailing modernism of the
For a brief period from 1927 to 1929, the Westbourne
Baptist congregation changed homes and followed
William Aberhart to the Prophetic Bible Institute Building
where the congregation then held it's meetings. In 1929, a
division over doctrinal and governance (ie. rent) issues caused
many of the Westbourne congregation to return to the old location
in Victoria Park.
Harry Scrimgeour led a group of Westbournites
back to the old building, to restart Sunday School and
services in the old location. In the previous interval, students
from the Prophetic Bible Institute had their first experiences
preaching from the old building with those attending from
At the Insitute Building, the remaining church members under
William Aberhart established a new entity, naming it the Bible
Institute Baptist Church (later Bethel Baptist), the start
of a new denomination which would come to be known as the
Gospel Missionary Association.
As is the case it seems, even groups which split off
from the Aberhart work, continued to do well. And
we see here 3 developments which mirrored
In February of 1930, the old Westbourne Church
used to a high standard in preaching, hired another dynamic
new Pastor from Ontario, the Rev. Morley Hall.
Early Westbourne Congregation under Morley
Hall - 1930's
like Aberhart, also began a new radio ministry, (a.) The
Back Home Gospel Hour, which
reached out into the city and far into the country
on the same station as Aberhart, CFCN.
Requests from listeners in Drumheller
Brooks, Benalto, Crossfield, Edmonton Norwood, Northwood in
Therien, and Bellevue,
led to the establishment of a new group of Regular
Baptist Churches which became the Alberta core of the current
Fellowship of Evangelical Baptists.
A mission point was also started in Edson.
See Regular Baptist NewsLetter of April 1944 - pdf
of Management For the Radio Program Initiated Regular Baptists
Dr. Morley R. Hall
Hall, amidst a congregation that had
already supported the start of a Bible School
soon realized the need for another Bible School
for like-minded fellowships being established. The
Rev. George Dawe came to assist him in this work.
Below on the left is Morley Hall leading the very
first class of (c.)The Western Baptist Bible College
with the first students on October 4th, 1934.
March 1965 Tribute to Morley Hall
in the Evangelical Baptist Magazine - pdf
First Class in 1934
It was in this era that the back annex
was added to the Church
for the College offices and perhaps an extention of the front
Class Lists of the Western Baptist
Bible College at the old Westbourne - pdf
Student Body and Faculty 1936 or37?
graduating class came in the spring of 1937.
Western Baptist Bible College
Graduation Class of 1937.
Men L-R - David Milligan, Ceil Birch, Don Hills,
Bill MacDonald, Albert Phillips
Ladies L-R - Eileen Clarke, Jean Dougan
Ruebena Hurd, Kathleen Ashely
This College was closed in the Second World War years as
the young men went off to do their patriotic duty and women
filled their spots. It was later reopened after the war
in Port Coquitlam BC as the NorthWest Baptist Bible College.
( Surviving currently as a denominational
seminary in Langley BC)
Morley Hall Family, Calgary
Westbourne Building Sign
This Gives an idea of the active congregational
life of the church
Note that the Pastor's residential address has been blacked
out on the sign, perhaps due to unexpected visitors.
Stylish Faculty & Grad Program Momento
1937 Gives Faculty Positions Below
1938 Faculty and Grads
an account of Morley Hall's ministry
written in 1998 by his son Raymond Hall. - pdf
(Note: date of Aberhart's first preaching
Westbourne was Dec. 5th, 1915 not 1920 as recollected
by Raymond Hall.)
Short History of the Western Baptist Bible College
by the Rev. George Dawe
1998 - pdf
Brief History Of Western-Northwest Bible
College by Merle Pierce in relation to
Fairview Baptist in Calgary - pdf
Pastor Morley Hall led Wesbourne
1930 to 1944when he left to minister back in
his home province of Ontario.
Many Pastors (Regular Baptist which merged
to become Fellowship Baptist) pictured here in later
in this late 1940's photo were graduates of the Western
Bible College at Westbourne. Names below
Back Row(l to r):
Jack Pickford, Mr. Bye, J. McKay, John Cunningham, Mr. Lotimer
Front Row (l to r) :
G. Reeve, David Milligan, W. Tompkins, R. Beck,
J. W. (Bill) McDonald.
After Pastor Morley Hall moved
to new works in Ontario, Westbourne Called Pastor John Cunningham
to take the lead.
Pastor John Cunningham. He established
the church plant in the Calgary Community
of Killarney. Leaving Westbourne, he later affiliated with
the Southern Baptists when they arrived in Canada
and formed the new Cambrian Heights Baptist.
Meeting of Westbourne Congregation
a Southern Baptist Delegation.
(The proposed merger was rejected bymost of
A good period shot to study the interior of
the back part
of the Westbourne Sanctuary of that time.
Note Alfred Girling's Pulpit woodwork in foreground
with embedded letters "We Preach Christ Crucified"
and SignBoards on Wall At Back ( See Alfred J. Girling Below
'Keep Thyself Pure' & 'Preach
also Girling's work. (see below on missing signboards)
The unseen Platform Motto Board overlooking the Pulpit read:
"Christ Died For Our Sins According
To The Scriptures" -ICor 15:3b
Whole Page Image to Identify Audience.
Additional Names to Match the Faces are welcomed.
Talented Wood Craftsman and Westbourne
Deacon lends his skills to adorn Westbourne Church
and the lives of those he loved. He may have attended during
the time of William Aberhart before
the Morley Hall era.
Alfred J. Girling and wife Elizabeth - 1932
Deacon Girling was a CabinetMaker who added stylish
woodcasings and shelfs. on the railcar interiors of dining
and other cars
at theOgden Shops of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Alfred Girling Built this Pulpit (pictured
in original setting above, date unkown) and a Matching Communion
Table for the
Westbourne Congregation. Front is adorned
with 'God Is Love' and Canadian Maple Leaves.
Top of lecturn has embedded wood of another kind
reminded the preacher that, "We Preach Christ
Crucified" A warning of earlier struggles with
modernism and the Social Gospel replacements.
Girling Communion Table (text on 3 sides)
Flash - Missing SignBoards
Alfred Girling had also made signboards one
crossed the front of the platform and said
"Christ Died For Our Sins According To The Scriptures"
Two others at the back wall read
"Preach the Word" & "Keep Thyself Pure"
The signs were taken up to the new Church meeting area
in Thorncliffe but have not been seen since.
On a trip to Crossfield, Aberhart Foundation researcher Larry
was informed that a similiar set of pulpit, communion table,
and signs were there. And when examined, It is no doubt more
of Girlings work and the same scripture message is on the
two boards found there.
The Girling SignBoards at Crossfield Baptist
(Inlaid letters of a different wood)
Girling also liked to remember his family
and special anniversary with his own
special creations in mixed woods.
( A manager he knew from Eau Claire Lumber
would give him scraps of exotic woods.)
MarQuetry - A Girling
Marquetry (also spelled as marqueterie)
is the art and craft of applying pieces of veneer to a structure
to form decorative patterns, designs or pictures. The technique
may be applied to case furniture or even seat furniture, to
decorative small objects with smooth, veneerable surfaces
or to free-standing pictorial panels appreciated in their
own right. Parquetry is very similar in technique to marquetry:
in parquetry the pieces of veneer are of simple repeating
geometric shapes, forming tiling patterns such as would cover
a floor (parquet), or forming basketweave or brickwork patterns,
trelliswork and the like.
Marquetry (and parquetry too)
differs from the more ancient craft of inlay, in which a solid
body of one material is cut out to receive sections of another
to form the surface pattern. The word derives from a Middle
French word meaning "inlaid work". See
Full Wikipedia Definition
the Woodwork of Alfred J. Girling - large pdf
westbourne Young People's
Cheer Up NewsPaper
The Cheer Up Newspaper is preserved
in existing copies
so far from May 1924 to 1931 and covers parts of both Aberhart
and Pastor Morley Hall's times at Westbourne.
In 1924 the editor is Rev. Ernest G. Hansell who began
as official acting Pastor in 1922, while Aberhart remained
the lay preacher. Hansell took his training at the
Bible Institute of Los Angeles, but had earlier worked
as a cartoonist for a Calgary newspaper. This talent
can be seen in the Cheer Up Ilustrations until
Hansell left as Pastor in Oct. 1926.
The Assistant editor was young
Cyril Hutchison and he likely did most of the writing and
leg-work. His Brother Noel Hutchinson was the President of
Young People's for some time before and after his marriage.
Cyril in 1926 becomes President, but in April of that year,
himself seems to be writing and editing the paper.
References to the Radio Ministry and Upcoming Bible
Institute began to appear in the Cheer Up. See
the following, likely written in Aberhart's own hand
in the Mon. May 23rd, 1926 edition.
Radio Theme Banner
& Poem. The Sunday Afternoon Radio Broadcasts on CFCN
from the Palace Theatre on Stephen Ave. Calgary
had just begun seven months earlier.
The humour and variety of the 'Cheer Up'
does not at all fit the dour sour fundamenalism
that the Media often portrayed Aberhart's work as
being. Below Cyril Hutchinson likely sketching himself,
refers to the Youth drive to contribute by sacrifice, to the
Gull Lake Bible Camp Assembly Hall project.
Exhortations to Attend Young People's and Prayer
were part of the Westbourne expectations
A little self-depreciating humour
with a sketch of Aberhart is included
And Portraits of the Young People were often
part of the fare.
Cheer Up deals with Bachelor Support Op's
Dec 20th, 1929
Ju ly 5th, 1926 Edition
Muriel Preston (future wife of Ernest Manning)
is listed as a member of youth group 'C'
July 12th, 1926 Edition has the Program
Flyer of the 1926 July 31 - Aug. 1st Baptist Young
People Union (BYPU) Convention at
McLaurin Beach .Gull Lake Alberta
The Westbourne Trophy was a Silver Cup donated
by the Church to the denomination as an Annual
Young People's Prize for individual speeches on
Christian Missions and Bible Characters.
One is reminded of the Aberhart Instituted Rutherford Cup
for Debating, so often won by students of Aberhart's
Crescent Heights Collegiate High School. (See Principal's
The Inclusion of a Nov.
9 - 1926 Baptist Young People's Union Rally Flyer pdf
at First Baptist is found in the Nov. 1st Edition of Cheer
The Westbourne Oratory Trophy is to be presented to it's
namesake young group who won it at the Gull Lake convention.
Westboune became independent from the denomination of it's
Mother Church, First Baptist in 1921 partly due to doctrinal
differences with the Baptist Schools in the East (ie. Brandon
College was where Tommy Douglas was trained.)
But co-operation in the Youth Camp and Rally continued at
five years later and does not evidencethe narrow sectarianism
that Aberhart is often accused of. The wide appeal of
his radio broadcast argues against this as well.
Sometimes the jokes section contains the names of
youth group members as in Nov.1st -1926 Cheer Up
Muriel (ie.Preston) - "How did you find yourself this
Isobel (ie. Logie) " I just turned back the sheets
and there I was!"
Westbourne Youth like Cyril Hutchison, scrimped
allowances to raise money for the Gull Lake Camp
Assembly Hall. (foreground)
Cheer Up - Selections of Westbourne Young People's Society
More to Follow on the Morley Hall
Cheer Up Volumes as they are digitized. Any missing
issues are welcome!
Baptist Dedication of New
NW Calgary Church in September 14th, 1975
1965 under Pastor Fred Meyer (early 60's till 67)
the old Westbourne Building was sold and
temporary quarter were found for Westbourne congregation
in the Thorncliffe
community hall until a new church was built
under Pastor Fred Adkins
1975 New Westbourne Building
Dedication Program and History - pdf
Baptist 75th Anniversary
of Incorporation (1923)
June 14th, 1998
Program of 75th and Related Histories - pdf
Of Members To 75th Organizers - pdf
Baptist 100th Anniversary
of Founding (1905) Sept. 10,11 - 2005
Under Pastor Dennis Burriss (1978-93)
Stewart, Allan Tuck, ........Emma & Avre Wilkinson
100th Anniversary Anniversary
History 'Footprints' - pdf
History to 2007 - pdf
Note: Aberhart actually first started
preaching at Westbourne in 1915
bible Institute baptist church
1929 - 1950
Dr. Andrew Imrie was called to be
Pastor in 1930, leaving William
Aberhart to continue as Board
Chairman and the Main Radio Preacher.
Dr. Imrie also participated in the Broadcasts.
Church Choir Below Also Sang on Broadcasts
Zoom in By Browser Page control to see names
The Bible Institute Building Served As the Buiding
for the Bible Institute Baptist Church and was formed
after a group left to return to the original
Westbourne Baptist in theVictoria Park District
One Member of the Choir was Also Head Usher
and the Farmer Character on the Social Credit Broadcasts
Grandson Ron Underwood of Red Deer,
tells us of his memories of Charles Underwood
and the Animal mimic sounds he would do on the Broadcast. -
Charles & Elizabeth Underwood
Kathleen Irwin (Whiteside) remembers that
they resided in the back apartment on the lower floor of the
Bible Institute where they served perhaps as caretakers as well,
and the students had nick named him" Daddy Underwood."
The Bible Institute Baptist Church met in
Prophetic Bible Institute Building
516 Eight Ave. West Calgary
1947-48 Church Board and Staff Photo
After earlier Pastors, in the late 1930's as Aberhart Moved
to Edmonton as Premier, Bill Laing and Arthur
Cornell shared pastoral duties. In 1941 the
congregation selected Bill Laing as the senior
pastor and Arthur Cornell took the position
of Church Chairman.
(Both also served on Bible Institute staff.)
The extention & home mission work of the Bible Institute
led by Arthur Cornell and others, was instrumental
in establishing numerous branch churches which under Aberhart's
time had become associated as the
Gospel Missionary Union.
Institute Baptist ( Bethel ) 40th Annivereary
April 1969 news account
Bethel was one of
17 Alberta Churches to have it's roots
in Aberhart's Prophetic Bible Institute.
Institute Baptist (Bethel ) Church 50th
Anniversary ( Newspaper Account )
Board Members List)
Return To Top
Bethel baptist church
Shortly after the Berean Bible Institute suceeded the
Prophetic Bible Institute - The Bible Institute Baptist
also began to meet in another location, and built a new
on 7th Ave. and 8th Street SW.
Downtown Location Of Behel Baptist Church.
In 1975-76 this property was sold and replaced by the Sandman
Inn, and a new church built in 1977 in a western suburb
of Calgary. The Church remained for many years in the Aberhart
initiated Gospel Missionary Union and in close association
with the Berean Bible College.
Pastor William J. Laing at the downtown Bethel Office.
Bill and Irene Laing in later years
While the old Bethel was sold to make way
for the Sandman Inn owned by the BC Social
Credit Gaglardi family, the church met for
a short time in a school while their new Bethel
Baptist Building was completed in the
Glenbrook Community on 49th St. SW
the 1977 Dedication Service
recorded at the new site of Bethel Baptist
in the Glenbrook Community of Calgary (49St. SW
( 1:25 hours mp3)
Large File - Be patient for it to download
Greetings in Service from MLA Neil Webber,
Bob Simpson, Rev. James Sinclair for Gospel Missionary
Association Superintendant, Ministerial Rep.
Rev. Norman Reimer and Dedication Message
by Berean Bible College President
Cyril Hutchinson on "Bethel The House Of God"
In 2010, the name of the Bethel Baptist Church
was changed to Abundant Life.
To obtain a two week radio show
on AM1140 Gospel Road
on Pastor Bill Laing Click
Return To Top
WILLIAM ABERHART BURSARY PROGRAM
Established from Aberhart
Radio Funds held in trust.
1974, Khona Louise Cooper (nee Aberhart) donated a dedicated
radio proceeds fund to the Northwest Baptist Seminary, now
of Langley , BC , in the memory of her father
for the purpose of Bursaries to be awarded
annually to qualifying students who were training for the
pastoral and preaching ministry.
The funds had come from proceeds left over from the Radio
Fund gathered during the time of William Aberhart's Ministry
on the Back to the Bible Hour.
In this way, the legacy of the radio ministry and William
Aberhart's love of Biblical, Expository preaching continues
to encourage new ministry students in the upcoming generations.
Below are the audio testimonies of two
of the students who have recieved the Bursaries in recent
years, and a background on the busary fund. Seminary President
Dr. Larry Perkins also speaks about the background of the
fund and how it encourages students to pursue the call of
God to the ministry.
hear the students speak
Click on their picture to start the audio mp3 file.
Click Back Button to Return to this page
Andre Van Wouden
& other extracts from
the Prophetic Voice
following is an extract from the Clippings section
of the Prophetic Voice magazine of the Calgary Prophetic Bible
Conference.(Jan, 1925 , pp. 9, 10) It explains how the public
should evaluate the scriptural teachings of both himself (Aberhart
as teacher and editor) and of other teachers. (in this case
a quote from Our Hope.)
William Aberhart began his citywide
ministry under the Prophetic Bible Conference organization, starting
in the small Westbourne Baptist Church in Calgary. (see
Church Histories below ) Increasing crowds, hungry for the
authoritative teaching of the Bible as the inerrant Word of God,
prompted him to move to ever larger facilities (Grand Theatre)until
the 2,000 seat Palace Theatre was being filled to capacity every
With the persuasion of
W.R. Grant, owner of the powerful CFCN Calgary radio station,
he began to broadcast his service in 1925,
and soon was reaching an audience of thousands of enthusiastic listerners.
Along with the broadcast of his sermons and the music going along
with them, he also started the Radio Sunday School Mission,
a mail-out version of Sunday School lessons which also reached thousand
of homes over the years.
Grand Theatre History